Sunday, June 15, 2008

Just to be the man who biked 1000 miles

I couldn't find much for songs on youtube about biking 1000 miles so I figured a song about walking would have to do.



Anyway, just a quick celebratory post. I broke 1000 miles this morning on the road back from Canton. Kari gave me a great Father's day present watching Alex so I could go on the breakfast ride (she went out for her own ride later in the afternoon). I lost the sprint into Canton not because of a lack of power but due to poor strategy (namely, not getting right behind the motor that is Dick H. ) Next time I've got to bridge up quicker (I was 10 feet behind him and couldn't catch up without going in the red).

We had a helpful wind, but I was still pretty impressed by the numbers on the bike computer (we were holding 27-28 the last couple miles into town, and I topped out on the sprint near 33.

The rest of the day was spent casually, cleaning the apartment, then the four of us went to G&Gs for supper. We had all sorts of grilled meat products, beer, wine, treats, a huge fruit spread and more. Mom made carrot cake w/ cream cheese frosting (sooo delicious) and then the kids played kickball (Alex/Ali/Kari/Rob vs Taylor/Erika/Lance/myself) with Grandpa and Dad watching on. I think Dad was frustrated that we weren't calling foul kicks, runners out, etc-- we were loose with the rules to keep it fun.

This week will be filled with work work work, then leaving a little early on Friday to head to the black hills for The Big Mick. 100miles (and change) on Saturday, and the option of doing another 100 back to the car on sunday. I've also paid for a shuttle and plan to pack a book, so if I shuttle back I have something to do while waiting for Snakebite to arrive.

No comments: