Monday, June 23, 2008

the Big Mick (long version)

This story begins, like most good stories, with Snakebite. See, he advertises on his blog all sorts of cool stuff he's doing and is always looking for partners in crime. He's been talking about the Big Mick for awhile, and I had a free weekend.

The Big Mick is slang for the Mickelson Trail (old railroad lines that the state turned into hiking/horseback/biking trails about 10 years ago). In the fall they have a ride on the trail that's 30 or 40 miles each day. The Big Mick, on the other hand, is the whole trail in 1 day.

So Friday I left work a little early to get home and get ready. I packed all of my clothes in my Camelbak, grabbed my new pedals (which I got from Darren Thursday night), bike shoes and a bunch of food. The Owner came to pick me up, then we rolled down to the LBS to grab the demo bike that I was going to be riding. For the record, that thing is worth every penny. Wow, I never thought I'd ride a century on a mountain bike and the next day my rear would be 90-95% fine. Then we rolled downtown to grab Snakebite and his mountain bike (Chad's bike was packed in the back of the car already).


After that it was off to the races.
Literally
Chad drives like a speed demon
we made it to the black hills in 2 hours, 17 minutes, 42 seconds.

We got to Lead (which, I was surprised to learn was 2 miles away from Deadwood) and checked into the hotel. Aleen had left our packets at the front desk (we got some postcards, some misc coupons and handouts, a water bottle, a BRIGHT green shirt, our wristband and some food coupons for the next day. We did a little pre-ride bike stuff (pedals onto my bike, lights on snakebite's bike, a little chain lube, etc.

By virtue of the fact that I didn't drive and didn't pay for the room I got the rollaway bed. Imagine if you will, two large metal rods. Now put a layer of mattress the thickness of a napkin on top of said rods. Now try to sleep. EVERY position I tried (and I know a lot of positions) I was getting poked. Finally I gave up trying to get comfortable and smashed my head into the wall until I fell, unconscious, and was able to get a little rest.

My phone alarm was setup to play an annoying tune at 4:20 (heh heh). We all started waking up. We started layering up (well, the smart ones did... more on that later) and began the checkout process. My outfit
Bike shorts
Second pair of shorts
bike jersey
second shirt
underarmor sleeves
gloves

Snakebite decided to roll out with shorts and a jersey. It seemed warm in Lead and was going to be in the 80s later.



We headed over to the starting spot and ran into a few other SF folks (Deb, Darla, Doug) and talked to Aleen about our ride back Sunday. We decided to shuttle back (instead of trying to bike it) and look for something else to do/ride Sunday. We didn't see Dick H anywhere (he came out the day before and went riding on his road bike).

Right away I was regretting my decision. The first stretch was a LOT steeper than 3% grade and I watched everyone fly up the hill past me. Chad and Chris left me and I wouldn't see them again until breakfast. At the top of the hill I snapped a few pictures.


The next hour and a half was spent riding hard uphill, or bombing downhill (and freezing my fingers).

I got to the breakfast stop and found I was just a few minutes behind C&C. We ate fabulously (biscuits & gravy, eggs, fruit, pancake, orange juice) and then waited around for it to warm up a little. Finally we started rolling again. The next stretch was up up up hill, but gradual.



Here's Chris (left, wearing an extra shirt he scavenged from my bag since he was so cold) and Chad (showing a strip of flesh that would later become very sunburned).

A bit later I tipped my bike over, fortunately taking the brunt of the damage on my arm (still covered by the under-armor) and leg (not so lucky). I wish there was a good story, but this was just a dumb fall.

After a stop for water we kept going and we started uphill again. We ran into snow (fortunately only on the edge of the trail)



In the next town I saw the craziest thing ever- a ton of tourists (in decent shape, presumable not disabled) riding around on Segways instead of walking to the sights.


I wanted to scream or curse or laugh, but instead took a picture and kept rolling.

The next 10 or 12 miles was nearly all uphill to the lunch stop. As I was eating and relaxing Dick (our long lost 4th member) showed up.



Dick was riding a brand new mountain bike (with Cross tires) that has some considerable mechanical problems. Suffice to say he was hot (and I'd guess the store he bought it from has gotten an earful or two by now).

The next 20 or so miles were pretty uneventful, oddly windy, and otherwise fun. Dick and I chatted as we cruised down the road. He ended up catching a ride in Pringle (due to his mechanical problems) and I continued to Argyle road (our turn off to Hot Springs).



The picture here was the ONLY time I took my hands off the handlebars for the next 20 miles. The road was loose gravel, full of crazy up and down hills like the one pictured, and tons of turns. The uphill stretches came SO quickly after the downhills that I was halfway up before I even had to pedal. Gaining enough speed on the downhills means throwing caution to the wind and hoping I didn't skid out or fall. I made it, and was thrilled to stop and catch my breath chatting with a nice gentleman that was waiting at the last stop.


I waited for my friends the Phatt Butt Tired chicks from Colorado to show up and then we took the scenic road the rest of the way into Hot Springs.

I got a text with hotel info, and then found Snakebite in the hotel room smiling with the owner passed out on the bed. I stripped, showered, re-clothed and we made our way to dinner. I reloaded with the following
Bud Light
Margarita
Pulled Pork Sandwich
Lemonade
Potato Salad
Steamed Vegetables
Lemon Drop Cheesecake (cheesecake factory!)

And then passed out in the hotel room before 8:30.

Thus ended the Big Mick.

3 comments:

Snakebite said...

Good times! I'm glad you could go. Same time next year!

hellimat said...

yeah planning on it. Will it be a guys only trip again? if so, can you keep it quiet so Kari doesn't find out? I'll tell her I have to work late or something

Anonymous said...

Sounds like ya'll had a good time, sorry I had to miss it! Thanks for the great story Matt.