Thursday, March 12, 2009

spin spin spin to my lou

Spinning class is, umm, well, at least it gets my feet moving in a circle. I'd like to hit the pavement (when it warms up-- not from slipping on ice) in good shape ready to rock.

I've been hitting every spin class I can lately-- Monday, Tues, Thurs this week, with Friday at lunchtime. It still bugs me when the instructors give (in my mind) ridiculous instructions

"ok, we're coming to a hill, gear down and stand up". Yeah, when do i stand going up hills-- frikkin never.

or the most ridiculous, the one instructor wanted us to do some sort of standing sprint thing, but only 4 pedal strokes at a time! 4 pedals down, 4 up, 4 down, 4 up. I swear my knees were going to go flying across the room. I stopped that crap and just pedaled.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

""ok, we're coming to a hill, gear down and stand up". Yeah, when do i stand going up hills-- frikkin never."


I KNOW! I still do stuff like that since it is making me stronger, however the four pedal thing you mention, I wouldn't be caught dead doing that!

Nice job getting to the spin classes, I'm focusing on my distance running but I am trying to bike/spin twice a week just to keep my fitness up.

Snakebite said...

The few spinning classes I've taken were taught by "fitness" people and not bike people - the classes sucked like you describe. However, a few were taught by bike people, in this case Victoria Wilde, and it was good.

bikingbrady said...

The 4 down, 4 up, "jumps" suck. There is NO PLACE for them.

When I teach I tell them that if you wouldn't do it on the road, we won't do it in here.

That being said, I stand a lot on the road, including while climbing, so we get out of the saddle a lot. So suck it up sailor.