Monday, March 30, 2009

My new shoes

my Vibram Five Fingers KSO (Keep Stuff Out)

There's no padding, just a rubber sole to protect your foot and teach your foot muscles not to be lazy. Since running (and landing on your heel) with a traditional heel strike is bad (braking action, and hurts your knees more) I'll wear these some of the time. Without the padding, it trains you to land with a midfoot strike, which is faster and easier on the joints.

Plus, they'll be great for the next couple weeks when I go here (with my soon to be wife) and here (for work).

Edited to add:

I wore these tuesday at the gym (walking and running). They feel great, nobody noticed (or they didn't say anything). I didn't have any pain in my shins/legs/knees from running, so that's good. I did notice the muscles in my calves/feet were getting tired quickly--they're so used to being lazy due to shoes -- so I kept it to 1.5 miles.

Then I took these to the pool. I swam 9 laps in them ( no problem) and then swam another 9 without. I didn't notice any difference in my times-- they don't help or hurt. They do stay wet a LONG time--I figure they'll be dried out by morning.

One of the nice things is that you can just drop them in the washing machine when they get dirty/stinky/sweaty and then hang em out to dry. Sweet!

2 comments:

SD_pedalpower said...

Those are the most bizarre shoes I have ever seen. Let me know how they work.

Unknown said...

Those vintage cars aren't going to be there when you hit the beach are they? That'd be weird :p

Glad you like the shoes, I'll have to check them out sometime and see if I want some for climbing!