Sunday, March 15, 2009

First ride of the year



Alex and I hooked up the half-wheel to the hybrid and went out for a ride today. We started from our place (right next to Sertoma park) and rode north. When we got up past the airport we struggled for the next 3 miles or so into furious headwinds (had to be 30mph). I think that stretch took us at least 20minutes, if not more. They hybrid is *NOT* good in winds.

Along that path some fab members came crusing by -- Darren, Greg, Gregg, Tammy and Road Legs. We met up at the falls ice cream shop for some treats before heading the rest of the way home.

Alex and I ran into Harlan, his wife and son by Spencer park so we chatted awhile before mounting back up (they were out walking because it was too cold to bike. hehe)

We made it through all the horrible puddles near Spencer park and eventually got home, just in time to pack up so he could head back to Mom's and so I could collapse.

As much as I complain about spin class, I have to change my tune
1- At least I had a dozen or so 'rides' in before today. Today wasn't so bad as a result.
2- 45minutes of non-stop legs spinning (the bikes are kinda like fixed gears in that they pull your feet through the motion) has really helped my pedaling. I used to have a lot of problems with "pedal, pedal, pedal, coast. pedal, pedal, pedal, coast". Today was great-- nonstop legs moving. When we got into the heavy headwinds it was hard, but my legs were up to the challenge.

No comments: