Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Good Samaritan... or, TWENTY DOLLARS!

Today I didn't think I'd get any riding in (work, pick up boy5 immediately after work, etc). Well the boy and I were talking (I do my best to get him excited/interested in exercise) and he asks if he can ride his bike back to his mom's house-- he wasn't spending the night with me today.

"heck yeah" I said! We hooked the Giant Half bike up to my hybrid, attached helmets, and took off. We road thru neighborhoods, waving at people, saying hi, and enjoying ourselves.

As we rode down the bike path on Bahnson Ave I noticed a cell phone laying on the road. We stopped, boy5 hopped off and grabbed it for me, and we continued to drop him off at his mom's.

I looked at the phone and called the most recent/prolific text message person, "Sami".

"Hi, I have your friend's phone. Who owns this phone?"

"blahblah blah, my friend lives at 1234 blah street"

"awesome, it's practically on my way home."

"ok dude, i'll call my friend's house and tell her parents you're on the way"

So I ride over and the dad is in the driveway. Hand him a cell phone, he offers me 20 bucks (which I take, woot!) and then I ride for home. Meet some friends along the way, grab groceries (and I get to splurge thanks to a free $20!) and call it a night.

Moral of the story-- save money (and earn money) by riding your bike.