Wednesday, August 20, 2008

changing focus

I decided to give up on weight for a little while... I still want to lose weight, definitely eating good (or great), tons of veggies, tons of lean meat. I'm just not going to obsess over the scale.

I will obsess over what I can control, and that's biking, lifting, running and swimming. Those activities definitely work for losing weight-- or more importantly, losing fat and gaining muscle. Because in the end it doesn't matter what you weigh, but what you look like. If, by some crazy stretch of the imagination, I end up covered in muscle and heavier than I want to be (for going uphill) then I'm certain I can lose muscle weight.

So, I've already been recording things like miles biked, I'm just going to be a little more diligent on the swimming/running/lifting. That's now prominent in the "about me" section, and easy to update.

In a month or so I'll hop on the scale and see where things are at.

A few updates on friends

one friend's daughter has my sister for a teacher
another friend was back at the gym (and in the pool) the other day
another friend got engaged
another friend broke 2 bones (rib, collar) and won't be competing in his Ironman
another friend has been ring shopping

and finally, there's some travel in my future. I'll be running in California in a month :) Details later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've totally been back at the gym for a while now, but yeah I had been putting off the return to the pool. We should def. lift together sometime though, then I can share my expertise.

DIRK said...

I think you are correct in not worrying about a specific weight number. Keep up on the training and get in shape.
I don't own a scale and ride for fun. Good luck on the tri.

Anonymous said...

Well, I own a scale, but the SOB is a lying piece of crap that needs to be re-calibrated with the biggest hammer I can find.
There.
Now I feel better.

Good luck Helimatt!

Bald_n_Surly said...

I have the same tri challenge. I want to do it but I just keep not doing it. Maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

Is the tri you are doing the 31st? Do you have a link to it? I'm seriously considering going to it just to say I did one again this year, lol.